Important! – Read this before adding guests to a module.
It’s important that you understand the limitations of the guest role. Simply adding a user as a guest does not allow them to see the module’s content. Here is a list of steps you have to complete, and below is the guidance on how to do them.
- Modules have to have guest access enabled in the first instance otherwise your guest will not be able to access the module.
- Any content areas that you wish guests to see have to be individually made visible otherwise your guest will see an empty module.
- Guests cannot see assessments or the Grade Centre.
- The Aston Replay Recordings area cannot be enabled for guests, however, any Panopto content embedded in a content area will be viewable.
- The module will not appear in your guest user’s course list. You will need to send them a direct link to your module.
- Your guest must have an Aston username and password.
To set up guest access to a course
Firstly, set your module to allow Guest access.
- Log into Blackboard, navigate to your module and ensure your editing is switched on.
- Go to the Course Management menu, open the Customisation menu and click Guest and Observer access.
- On the Guest and Observer Access page ensure the Allow Guest Access box is set to Yes and click Submit.
Secondly, allow guest access to each content area of your module individually.
- Ensure your editing is switched on.
- Click the drop down arrow to open the menu of the content area you wish to allow the guests to access. Click Permit Guests.
- Note: You cannot set guest access to Aston Replay (Panopto) from the Content menu.
- You can circulate the link to the Aston Replay area of your module to your guests.
- Or you can circulate the link to individual videos.
Thirdly, enrol your guest onto your course
Make sure you select the Guest role