Blackboard may add empty group membership criteria when setting up an adaptive release rules on an item – meaning your item will never be visible to students.
This happens when:
- You add a simple (not advanced) adaptive release to an item,
- With only one rule on the adaptive release,
- In a Blackboard course that has user groups set up.
If this is the case, you will see a message similar to this against the item.
There are two workarounds to this issue.
Use Adaptive Release: Advanced to create the item - this will not trigger the bug which adds the group criteria
help.blackboard.com has information on using Adaptive Release: Advanced to create rules and criteria.
Create the Adaptive Release as normal, and then use Adaptive Release: Advanced to remove the offending group criteria
Having set up the adaptive release rule, navigate to Adaptive Release: Advanced and remove the unwanted rule
- Click the arrow icon next to the item, and click Adaptive Release: Advanced
- On the next screen, click the arrow icon next to Rule 1, and click Edit Criteria
- Click the arrow next to AND Membership, and click Delete
- Observe that there is just the original criteria you specified when you originally set the Adaptive Release rule
Check to see who has access to an item
You can see which members of your course has access to an item by looking at the User Progress screen.
There’s more details on Blackboard’s support site.
This issue was updated on 30 March 2020 with more detail as to the conditions that need to be present for the bug to occur.