The Module Information Area is a clearly defined space where key details can be presented for students.
This represents an important starting point for student engagement and can provide a consistent and accessible point of reference or referral for common queries about module study. Key information that should be outlined as a minimum includes:
- A welcome and personal introduction by the Module Tutor/s.
- An overview of key module specification details including Module Aims, Learning Outcomes, and an overview of Learning and Teaching activities, Assessment details and deadlines.
When introducing the module, it is also worth explaining how the module relates to wider programmes of study. For students studying primarily or exclusively online, attention should also be given to providing an overview of the module area in Blackboard and highlighting where further details can be located such as webinar session links for timetabled learning and teaching activities, assessment details, and additional information about student support. It is recommended that Panopto be used to produce a short welcome video or series of videos.
You might also consider:
- Inviting students who have successfully completed the module in a previous year to write or record a short welcome. The perspective and advice of peers can be an effective way of reassuring students and focusing on the challenges but also value of successfully achieving the learning outcomes.
- Focusing specifically on the unusual and challenges circumstances that the whole academic community is facing related to the Covid-19 pandemic. In addition to setting clear ground rules and expectations for learning and teaching activities, it is worth considering what you want to say to students in general about feeling safe to study in the context of the module concerned.
- Add a file to a content area
- Add a Panopto video link
- Create a folder structure
- Create an item
- Create a web link
For technical support contact the TEL Team